CHC50113 Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care
Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care
The Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care is for people who wish to take on a leadership role in an early childhood service and has a strong emphasis on advocacy for the rights of children; the development of strong relationships, effective workplace processes; inclusive, respectful and responsive workplace culture; and curriculum which focuses on the needs of a child and their individual context.
A Diploma qualification in early childhood provides career opportunities beyond working directly with children, including leadership, management, and support roles.
The course covers the following areas:
- Supporting the health, learning, and development of children
- Supporting children's learning and development
- Design, planning, implementing and evaluating educational programs
- Work with families, community and external agencies
- Providing leadership and support to other staff
- Leadership roles in a variety of early childhood services
- Managing compliance with policies and legislation.
- Full time (12 to 18 months) or Part-time (18 to 36 months)
Number of Units:
- 28 (23 core and 5 nominated electives)
- If you have already been awarded CHC30113, you can gain credit for 11 to 13 units
- See Course Fact Sheet for detail list of units
Note: The college does not currently deliver First Aid (HLTAID004) to students enrolled in CHC50113.
- Mixed (online with workshops or webinars plus an allocated trainer) with practical placement
Formal Entry Requirements:
- There are no formal entry requirements for this course however you will need language, literacy and numeracy skills at an appropriate level to complete the course.
- C&K College is not CRICOS registered and cannot enrol students with a subclass 500 student visa.
- You will need to apply for a Blue Card (working with children check) for placement - check if you are eligible here
You must have access to a computer with internet, MS Office, PDF reader software and a scanner or mobile with camera capabilities.
2020 Student fees:
|Student Fee Type||Per Course||Per Unit|
|Non-Concession Fee *||$2,700||$100|
|Concession Fee *||$1,485||$55|
** C&K Staff discounts are available
Note: This course is subsidised by the Queensland Government. Students are required to contribute to the costs of their training through a co-contribution fee (shown above *).
⇒ See the Student Guide for further details on fees and refunds
2020 Apprenticeship Fees:
|Student Fee Type||Per Course||Per Unit|
|Non-Concession Fee *||$3,277||$1.60 per nominal hour|
|Concession Fee *||$1,311||$0.64 per nominal hour|
|Free Apprenticeships for under 21s||$0||$0|
** Prices may vary depending on electives studied
Note: This course is subsidised by the Queensland Government. Students are required to contribute to the costs of their training through a co-contribution fee (shown above *). In some cases, the employer may pay the apprenticeship co-contribution fee on behalf of the student.
⇒ See the Student Guide for full details on fees and refunds
Fee concessions may apply to government-funded courses for eligible students. To be eligible for the concession fee, you must be eligible to access subsidised training (e.g. Higher Level Skills), as well as meet one of the following criteria:
- hold a valid Health Care or Pensioner Concession Card issued under Commonwealth law
- be named on the card as a partner or dependent of someone holding a valid Concession Card
- be of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent.
Please note: Proof of eligibility for concession must be demonstrated prior to the commencement of training.
- Fees are payable up-front or by payment plan (weekly, fortnightly or monthly payments)
- McGraw Hill Textbook
- Dr. Kaylene Henderson Raising Good Kids Online Course
- Nutrition Australia Qld LEAPS (Learning, Eating, Active Play, Sleep) online training
- Early Years online series covering Inclusion, Governance, Disability support and Transdisciplinary practice.
Students will need to undertake the required First Aid course (HLTAID004 Provide an emergency first aid response in an education and care setting) and provide a copy of the Statement of Attainment to the College for the Credit Transfer process.
The assessment methods used in this course include:
Written tasks, questions, case studies, activities, scenarios and workplace projects
Students completing a Diploma qualification who do not work in a regulated care service must complete at least 240 hours of unpaid vocational placement. This practical component allows students to put their learning into practice. You are required to work across all age groups (including at least 30hrs of work placement with children under 2 years of age). Students participating in vocational placement will be required to undergo a Working with Children Check and receive a positive notice and blue card - check if you are eligible here
The Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care provides the following employment opportunities:
- Early Childhood Centre Director
- Early Childhood Educator - long daycare, childcare centres, occasional care
- Assistant Educator - Kindergarten or preschool program
- Family Day Care Educator or Coordinator
- Out of School Hours Coordinator
- In-Home Care Provider or Coordinator
Helpdesk: 07 3513 2524
RTO no. 5025
Higher Level Skills
The Higher Level Skills program provides a government subsidy to support eligible individuals to access subsidised training in selected certificate IV or above qualifications, and priority skill sets. Read more
User Choice (apprenticeship and traineeship funding)
The User Choice program provides a public funding contribution towards the cost of training and assessment for eligible Queensland apprentices and trainees. C&K College of Early Childhood Education is a Skills Assure Supplier. Read more
Fee Apprenticeships for Under 21s
The Free apprenticeships for under 21s program will cover the cost of training for apprentices or trainees who commenced or are undertaking priority qualification from 1 July 2019 to 30 June 2023. Read more
Early Childhood Teacher Bridging Program
If you're a primary school teacher, you can fast track your career and complete a Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care. This typically takes 6 to 12 months of full-time study (depending on the skills and knowledge you need to successfully transition to early childhood teaching). Read more
Fee for Service
Fees for self-funded students. The Fee for Service is applied when a student is not eligible for subsidies, government loans or where no subsidies are available.