Early Childhood Teacher Bridging Program
** Applications open once again **
Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care
If you're a primary school teacher, you can fast track your career and complete a Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care within 6 to 12 months of full-time study (depending on the skills and knowledge you need to successfully transition to early childhood teaching). This will allow you to will enable you to work in a range of early childhood services, such as kindergarten, long day care, and outside school hours care.
A Diploma qualification in early childhood provides career opportunities beyond working directly with children, including leadership, management and support roles.
The course covers the following areas:
- Supporting the health, learning and development of children
- Supporting children's learning and development
- Design, planning, implementing and evaluating educational programs
- Work with families, community and external agencies
- Providing leadership and support to other staff
- Leadership roles in a variety of early childhood services
- Managing compliance with policies and legislation.
Note: In 2013, the Australian Children's Education & Care Quality Authority (ACECQA) determined that registered/accredited primary school teachers can be recognised as an 'equivalent Early Childhood Teacher' if they complete a CHC50113 Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care. This transition arrangement was reviewed by the ACECQA Board in June 2019 and has been extended to the 31 December 2021, and educators who obtain this qualification before the end of 2021 will continue to be recognised as equivalent Early Childhood Teachers after that date.
- Full time (6 to 12 months)
Number of Units:
- 28 (23 core and 5 awarded by credit transfer from primary teacher qualifications)
- See Course Fact Sheet for detail list of units
Note: The college does not currently deliver the First Aid competency
- Mixed (self-paced plus workshop or 1:1 support) with practical placement
Formal Entry Requirements:
- To enter this course, you must hold teacher registration and a primary teaching qualification which focuses on children aged 3 to 8 or 5 to 12.
- You will need to apply for a Blue Card (working with children check) for placement
2019 Student Fees:
|Student Fee Type||Per Course||Per Unit|
|Non-Concession Fee *||$805||$35|
|Concession Fee *||$460||$20|
** C&K Staff discounts are available
Note: This course is subsidised by the Queensland Government. Students are required to contribute to the costs of their training through a co-contribution fee (shown above *).
- Fees are payable up front or by payment plan (weekly, fortnightly or monthly payments)
- McGraw Hill Textbook
- Dr Kaylene Henderson Raising Good Kids Online Course
- Students will need to undertake the required First Aid course (HLTAID004 Provide an emergency first aid response in an education and care setting) and provide a copy of the Statement of Attainment to the College for the Credit Transfer process.
The assessment methods used in this course include:
- Written tasks, questions, case studies, activities, scenarios and workplace projects
Students completing a Diploma qualification who do not work in a regulated care service, must complete at least 240 hours of unpaid vocational placement. This practical component allows students to put their learning into practice. You are required to work across all age groups (including at least 30hrs of work placement with children under 2 years of age). Students participating in vocational placement will be required to undergo a Working with Children Check and receive a positive notice and blue card.
Helpdesk: 07 3513 2524
RTO no. 5025
Higher Level Skills
The Higher Level Skills program provides a government subsidy to support eligible individuals to access subsidised training in selected certificate IV or above qualifications, and priority skill sets. Read more
Early Childhood Teacher Bridging Program
If you're a primary school teacher, you can fast track your career and complete a Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care. This typically takes 6 to 12 months of full-time study (depending on the skills and knowledge you need to successfully transition to early childhood teaching). Read more
Fee for Service
Fees for self-funded students. The Fee for Service is applied when a student is not eligible for subsidies, government loans or where no subsidies are available.