Transition to school
Moving from an early childhood education and care setting into school can be exciting but sometimes daunting time for children and their families.
C&K believes a successful transition to school is critical for all children. Successful transitions are supported by collaborative partnerships between the child and their family, the kindergarten setting, the prep setting, Principals and the wider community.
At C&K we offer a range of support to help your child and family successfully transition to school. Please watch the short video below that showcases the work done by C&K Lutwyche Windsor Community Kindergarten, C&K Wilston Grange Community Kindergarten and Windsor State School supporting children to successfully transition to school
We encourage families to:
- Walk past the school so your child knows what their new school looks like
- Learn the names for break times such as Big Lunch or Second Break as this will help your child when they start school
- Practice opening and closing lunch box lids and filling water bottles
- Work together to label and name school books, items and uniforms, so your child knows how to identify them if lost
- Show your child where you will pick them up each day, and what to do if they can’t see you at pick up time
- Talk about staying safe at school
- Reassure your child that if they are unsure of anything to ask an adult.
Starting School Resources
C&K, in partnership with Mission Australia Communities for Children (Inala to Ipswich), have created valuable resources to support children and families transition to school. These hands on, practical books provide information to answer many of the questions children and families may have about starting school. These items are available for services to purchase, and then distribute to families to support a successful transition to school. If you are a parent wishing to order a copy, please contact your service.
To purchase the Starting School Family and Community booklet and the Starting School Children’s Activity booklet, which are available in packs of 25, please submit the following order form. The resources should complement a broader Transitions to School program.
For those services based in the Inala to Ipswich area you may be eligible for complimentary packs. For further information please contact Michele Binstadt on firstname.lastname@example.org