Find a C&K near you
Our education program
C&K’s early childhood curriculum Listening and Learning Together: C&K Curriculum Approach is used for children from birth to 5 in all our kindergartens and childcare centres.
The learning outcomes in our curriculum approach align with both The Early Years Learning Framework for Australia (EYLF), and the Queensland Kindergarten Learning Guideline (QKLG). As well as contemporary practices and understandings of the early years.
C&K educators skilfully partner with all children and families to create caring and vibrant learning communities.
In the year before school, university-qualified teachers guide and support children to be curious, capable and collaborative learners.
For children from birth to three, our infant and toddler approach focuses on slowing down and being with your child as they are encouraged to explore the world.
At C&K we see children from birth as thinkers and theorisers rich in ideas and knowledge, as powerful learners and active citizens.
We carefully work with an anti-bias curriculum to promote fairness, empowerment and respect, and role-model equity and inclusion.
We honour every child’s right to play, build on their existing learning from home, and provide foundations to be a life-long learner.
Kindergarten - the year before school
Our dedicated, qualified teacher/educators nurture healthy minds and bodies. We celebrate each child’s individual strengths to support their participation in the program and grow towards their full potential.
We co-design vibrant learning communities with children, families and communities. Your C&K centre is a place where your child will belong, feel safe and make friends.
Our indoor and outdoor spaces ignite imaginations and foster curiosity as children explore, experiment, play and learn.
Educators are open to your child’s ideas and will guide their social and emotional growth. Your child will experience many opportunities to explore, solve problems, develop friendships, use their creativity, and play. And time is taken to prepare children for a transition to school, and a life-long love of learning.
Infant and toddler approach
C&K has developed an infant and toddler approach which informs the way we care for and educate our babies and toddlers.
At this age, our warm and professional educators “slow down” and are in the moment with your child as they explore the world. We focus on developing a deep and trusting relationship with each baby or toddler, to take the time in precious care moments, and develop routines and rituals with you so your baby or toddler feel safe, happy and secure.
Babies and toddlers are naturally interested in the wonder of the world - and we love to wonder with them.
What does play-based learning look like in a C&K centre?
Play-based learning will reflect the children, educators, families and communities at your C&K centre. Our teacher/educators enrich and extend on children's play and learning through play will happen in ways that are meaningful for your child.
For example, if your child is playing in the sandpit, a teacher/educator may encourage them to draw maps in the sand and label them or measure the water levels in the dam they have built. In this example the educator is purposely supporting your child’s interest to explore opportunities for literacy and numeracy development.
Programs in C&K centres may also include
- Nature play - having time to play freely outdoors, connect with nature and use natural materials is a vital part of childhood. Watch our video - C&K Chapel Hill explain their nature program.
- Risky play - How can I keep myself safe? Can this branch take my weight? These are some the questions and situations children may explore, safely with our expert educators. Watch our video - What does risky play look like at C&K kindys and childcare centres?
- STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) are weaved into inquiry-based experiences. Children may be encouraged to use design thinking, investigative and scientific processes to explore and learn about the world around them and how things work. Watch our video - What does Science look like at kindy?
- Literacy and language - taking time to talk and read, to have conversations, to draw and play with open-ended materials are some of the ways your educators may incorporate this curriculum area into your child’s learning journey.
- The arts - your child will be able to explore their creativity through visual arts, drama, music, movement and a range of materials, as part of their daily play.
- First Nations Peoples' histories, perspectives and continuing connections to land, sea and sky in all our programs deepens everyone’s learning.
Early childhood curriculum has been crafted by C&K educators with, and alongside, children, families and communities for over 110 years.
Curriculum in C&K early childhood centres is shaped by a strong set of shared values, commitments and visions that honour children as powerful learners, thinkers and theorises and active citizens.
2006 - after more than two years of extensive research and community consultation with leading early childhood practitioners, key stakeholders, parents and children, the first edition of C&K Building waterfalls a guideline for children’s learning and for teaching in kindergarten, was published.
2009 - a review commenced with C&K early childhood educators, families and children helping develop C&K Building waterfalls teaching and learning guidelines (second edition). This edition included both kindergarten edition and one for children birth to three years.
2011 - Queensland Studies Authority approves C&K Building waterfalls for kindergarten (second edition), complementing the national Early Years Learning Framework released by the Australian Government in 2009 and meeting all requirements under the National Quality Framework.
2019 - Listening and Learning Together: C&K Curriculum Approach is launched, for children birth to five. C&K Building waterfalls is decommissioned.
2022 - The Infant and Toddler Approach is launched, for children birth to three, replacing the Birth to Three Approach.
2023 - C&K undergo a review of their education program in line with amendments made to The Early Years Learning Framework for Australia (EYLF).