Atherton Community Kindergarten is affiliated with the Creche and Kindergarten (C&K) Association and we offer foundational, educational and play based programs that are complementary to entry into prep.
Atherton Community Kindergarten's operating hours are Monday to Friday, 8:00am - 6:00pm with various grouping available.
At Atherton Community Kindergarten we provide a fun, stimulating and natural environment that will foster learning through real life experiences. We strive;
• To provide a rich and caring environment reflective of the community where staff are qualified, experienced and engaged in facilitating children’s learning.
• To provide a program that is play based but also incorporates intentional teaching.
• To focus on the needs and interests of the child.
• To accept and embrace that each child is a unique individual with his/her own pattern of development, temperament and potential for learning.
• To foster beneficial life skills and encourage socially acceptable behaviour through play, role-play, stories and modelling.
• To ensure that the program reflects and meets the needs and interests of the Atherton Tablelands community based on the principles of social inclusion, participation and equity.
• To celebrate diversity within our community.
• To encourage children to participate in planning the environment and program.
• To encourage equity in choice and opportunity.
• To create a safe but challenging environment both inside and out that encourages risk taking, investigation and creativity, promotes a sense of wonder about the world and fosters a love and awareness for our environment.
• To be flexible about routine, space, time and equipment.
• To encourage a sense of ownership in families through participation in management, maintenance, curriculum activities and social events. • To encourage and allow children to engage in risky play to enable them to take calculated risks.
• To connect and learn with nature
• To acknowledge the importance of the Yidinji community in the life of our kindergarten
• To commit to continuous improvement