Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care Course Overview
Course Code: CHC30121
Qualification: Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care
This qualification is the minimum requirement for early childhood settings in Australia. Childcare and Early Childhood Education facilities are experiencing a skills shortage which means there is a high demand for qualified workers. The course covers the following areas:
- Care and nurturing: babies, toddlers, and children
- Fostering individual development
- Promoting and facilitating healthy mealtimes
- Legal and industry requirements
- Planning, implementing and evaluating educational programs
- Working alongside other educators and teachers
- Work with family and community.
Course Duration: Full-time (12 months) or Part-time (24 months)
Number of Units:
- 17 (15 core and 2 nominated electives)
- See Course Fact Sheet for detail list of units
Note: The college does not currently deliver the First Aid competency (HLTAID012 Provide First Aid in an education and care setting) to individual students. Individual students will be required to undertake training in HLTAID012) and provide a certified copy of their results to the college for Credit Transfer processing.
Delivery Mode: Mixed (online with workshops or webinars plus allocated trainer) with practical placement
Formal Entry Requirements:
- There are no formal entry requirements for this course however you will need language, literacy and numeracy skills test.
- C&K College is not CRICOS registered and cannot enrol students with a subclass 485 or 500 student visa.
- You will need to apply for a Blue Card (working with children check) or exemption card.
- You must have access to a computer with internet, MS Office, PDF reader software and a scanner or mobile with camera capabilities.
Student Fee Type
Certificate 3 Guarantee (C&K Employee + Concession Fee)
|Certificate 3 Guarantee (Concession Fee)||$432||$27|
Certificate 3 Guarantee (C&K Employee + Non-concession Fee)
|Certificate 3 Guarantee (Non-concession Fee)||$880||$55|
|Full Fee (C&K Employee)||$3,744||$234|
This course is subsidised by the Queensland Government for eligible students under Certificate 3 Guarantee. Students are required to contribute to the costs of their training through a co-contribution fee.
See the Student Guide for further details on fees
Student Fee Type
|Non-concession Fee||$1,737.60||$1.60 per nominal hour|
|Concession Fee||$695.04||$0.64 per nominal hour|
|Fee Free Traineeship||$0||$0|
|School Based Traineeship/Apprenticeship||$0||$0|
Fees are dependent on electives studied.
Traineeships are subsidised by the Queensland Government to assist eligible students with payment of course fees. Government Funding does not pay the full cost of study. Students are required to contribute to the costs of their training through a co-contribution fee. In some cases, the employer may pay the traineeship co-contribution fee on behalf of the student.
See the Student Guide for further details on fees.
Fee concessions may apply to government-funded courses for eligible students. To be eligible for the concession fee, you must be eligible to access subsidised training (e.g. Certificate 3 Guarantee), as well as meet one of the following criteria:
- hold a valid Health Care or Pensioner Concession Card issued under Commonwealth law
- be named on the card as a partner or dependent of someone holding a valid Concession Card
- be of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent.
Proof of eligibility for concession must be demonstrated prior to the commencement of training.
Fees are payable upfront or by payment plan (weekly, fortnightly or monthly payments)
- Textbook, The Early Childhood Educator for Certificate III (Lorraine Walker 3rd Edition)
- Access to C&K specific approaches and pedagogy, policies, procedures, learning material and companion guides.
Students will need to undertake the First Aid course (HLTAID012 Provide First Aid in an education and care setting) separately from C&K College. Individual students will be required to provide a copy of the Statement of Attainment to the College for the Credit Transfer process.
Written tasks, questions, case studies, reflective conversations, activities, scenarios and workplace projects.
Students completing a Certificate III qualification who do not work in a regulated care service must complete at least 160 hours of unpaid vocational placement, made up of:
- 40 hours babies (0-23 months)
- 40 hours toddlers (2-3 years)
- 80 hours 3-5 years
This practical component allows students to put their learning into practice. All Students will be required to undergo a Working with Children Check and receive a positive notice and Blue Card.
- Assistant Educator - long daycare, childcare centres, occasional care
- Assistant Educator - Kindergarten or preschool program
- Family Day Care Educator
- In-Home Care Provider
Completion of this qualification meets prerequisite entry requirements for CHC50121 Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care.
Certificate 3 Guarantee
The Certificate 3 Guarantee helps support Queensland residents to complete their first post-school certificate III level qualification. Students will no longer be eligible for a government-subsidised training place under the Certificate 3 Guarantee once they complete this qualification. Read more
User Choice (apprenticeship and traineeship funding)
The User Choice program provides a public funding contribution towards the cost of training and assessment for eligible Queensland apprentices and trainees. C&K College of Early Childhood Education is an approved Skills Assure Supplier. Read more
Fee Apprenticeships for Under 25s
The Free apprenticeships for under 25s program will cover the cost of training for apprentices or trainees. You must commence, or be undertaking, your training between 1 January 2021 to 31 December 2024. Read more
Fee for Service
Fees for self-funded students. The Fee for Service is applied when a student is not eligible for subsidies.