Operating Hours and Groups
At C&K Cooktown Kindergarten we have two models of delivery for families to choose from. We operate during QLD school terms.
- Dolphins Group: Monday and Tuesday, 7:48am to 3:30pm
- Turtles Group: Wednesday and Thursday, 7:48am to 3:30pm
The groups comprise a maximum of 22 children and the staff ratio includes 2 experienced and qualified staff to 22 children.
We are closed for school holidays, public holidays and some pupil free days.
At C&K Cooktown Community Kindergarten, we pride ourselves in acknowledging and respecting the culture, background and history of each individual child and their families. We want to ensure that each of these individual needs are respected and considered in all aspects of our service. Our centre has a free bus service that is available to all C&K Cooktown Community Kindergarten Children who do not have transport of their own.
We believe that children learn best through play and need to develop an understanding and respect for themselves and others. Our staff achieve this by:
- Providing appropriate materials that consider age and development
- Ensuring we have a stimulating and responsive indoor and outdoor environment
- Facilitating learning about our community and the surroundings through excursions and discussions
- Providing a safe and secure environment that offers acceptable challenges and risk in play
- Role modelling respectful behaviour
- Promoting children's confidence, resilience, sense of wellbeing and identity within a stimulating, rich and responsive environment
- Acknowledging each child as an individual
- Allowing each child to complete activities at their own pace
- Ensuring that the children develop a sense of being, becoming and belonging within the immediate environment and the wider community
- Encouraging and supporting parents in their role
- Involving and respecting parents' ideas when planning
- Acknowledging parents are an important source of information about each child's needs
- Ensuring parents always feel welcome to spend time with their child at C&K Cooktown Community Kindergarten.
- Ensuring each staff members skills and ability are acknowledged and supported through a range of specific professional development activities
- Working together to share ideas and support each other
- Acknowledging and recognising duty of care towards the children at C&K Cooktown Community Kindergarten.
Great Start to Kindergarten Pre-kindy Program 2023
Cooktown Kindergarten offers a subsidised pre-kindy program for three-year-olds in terms 3 and 4, 2023. To be eligible for this program, children need to have turned three by 30 June 2023.
Your three-year-old child can attend Cooktown Kindergarten's high-quality community kindergarten program alongside four-year-olds. Attending kindergarten provides learning opportunities for your child in a safe and nurturing environment, including building relationships with teachers and growing their confidence and social skills to engage with other children.
For more information, click here.
No two days are the same at C&K Cooktown Kindergarten. Our teaching team tailor each day’s learning taking into account the interests of the children in the group. The spacious environment at our kindy is thoughtfully planned and well resourced. There is a focus on music, drama, literature and visual arts and time spent discovering the natural environment outdoors.
Community spirit is important to us at C&K Cooktown Kindergarten. We foster our strong ties to the local community by encouraging parent input and involvement in the daily operations of the kindergarten and programming decisions. We often hold and partake in community events and love connecting with local businesses and groups around us.