Child Care Package Frequently Asked Questions | C&K - childcare and kindergarten

Child Care Package Frequently Asked Questions

What is myGov?

myGov is a secure way to access government services online, such as Centrelink, Medicare, ATO and other services. You can update your details with government departments and receive letters and messages through this portal.

Why do I need a myGov account?

You need a myGov account to complete your online Child Care Subsidy assessment so that you can receive the Child Care Subsidy from 2 July 2018 if you are eligible.

You can create a myGov account at  

Why do I need to complete an online Child Care Subsidy assessment or claim?

Families who were previously receiving Child Care Benefit (CCB) and/or Child Care Rebate (CCR) will need to complete an online Child Care Subsidy assessment to receive the new Child Care Subsidy (CCS). You are required to provide your 2018‑19 combined family income estimate, your activity details and confirm your child’s enrolment.

Your details can be provided through your Centrelink online account via myGov or by using the Express Plus Centrelink mobile App. You can also provide your Child Care Subsidy information to Centrelink verbally if you cannot provide it online. Families that have not completed their Child Care Subsidy assessment or claim will not receive the Child Care Subsidy.

Why is the ‘Enrolment Start Date’ displayed in my Child Care Subsidy Assessment not the date my child started at the service?

The ‘Enrolment Start Date’ displayed in MyGov is the date your childcare service linked your enrolment to Centrelink NOT your child’s first day of care at the service.

What do I include in my Activity Test?

You must include all hours of work, study, volunteering, training or other approved activity that you undertake. You can also include travel from the childcare service to your approved activity e.g. work, university etc.

What do I do if I have provided incorrect hours of Activity? 

You can call Centrelink to update your assessment details now, or wait until your assessment has been finalised and amend your details via MyGov.

Is my child eligible for a subsidy if they attend a kindergarten program delivered in a childcare service?

Yes, families that don’t meet the activity test and that have a kindergarten-aged child attending a kindergarten program within an approved childcare service, will be exempt for the period that the kindergarten program runs and are eligible for 36 hours of subsidised care per fortnight.

What if I am not currently eligible for Child Care Benefit?

  • International families – There is nothing further you need to do.  
  • Other Families – Contact Centrelink to enquire about any subsidies you may be entitled to receive.

What is Additional Child Care Subsidy (transition to work)?

This replaces Jobs, Education and Training Child Care Fee Assistance (JET) to support low income families transitioning from income support to work.

Please contact Centrelink, if you would like further information or to apply for ACCS (transition to work). If you are currently receiving JET, Centrelink will be in touch to discuss what the changes mean for you.

What is Additional Child Care Subsidy (temporary financial hardship)?

This replaces Special CCB to help families experiencing short-term temporary financial hardship. Families are eligible to receive 13 weeks of assistance per hardship event. From 2 July 2018, families can apply to Centrelink for Additional Child Care Subsidy (temporary financial hardship) – after they have been assessed as eligible for Child Care Subsidy. If you believe you are eligible for this subsidy or would like further information, please contact Centrelink directly to discuss.

What is Additional Child Care Subsidy (Grandparent)?

This replaces Special Grandparent CCB to help grandparents on income support who are the principal caregiver of their grandchildren. This subsidy supports grandparents who receive income support, have 65% or greater carer responsibilities and have substantial autonomy for day-to-day decisions. If you currently receive Grandparent Child Care Benefit or believe you are eligible for the Additional Child Care Subsidy (Grandparent), please contact Centrelink for further information.